Over the past few weeks I’ve been promising to provide some guidance for folks who have been waitlisted.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- We maintain a waitlist information page on our website (http://www.northeastern.edu/law/admission/faqs/wait-list.html). This is where we will make any updates about what is happening with our waitlist throughout the summer.
- If and when we are able to extend an offer of admission to a waitlisted candidate, an admissions staff member contacts the admitted student directly. Those who are admitted from the waitlist typically have 24 hours to respond to an offer of admission.
- We are generally unable to offer institutional scholarship grant money to students admitted from the waitlist. Students admitted from the waitlist usually rely on loans.
- We do not allow students admitted from the waitlist to defer entrance to the law school.
- We do not rank our waitlist. Should we activate the waitlist, we will give every file consideration.
- We do not interview or formally meet with waitlisted applicants.
Unfortunately the waitlist is one of the hardest things to predict; we do not yet know, nor will we know until further into the summer, whether we will be able to admit students from the waitlist at all or how many we will be able to admit. In previous years we have had experiences where we have only admitted one or two students from the waitlist and not able to admit them until Opening Day of Orientation. In other years we have been able to admit a few more students earlier in the summer. It’s just fairly unpredictable.
So what can a waitlisted applicant do?
- If you’re still in college, keep your grades up.
- If there have been substantive changes in your application since you’ve applied (or been waitlisted), let us know. This could include an improved GPA; a significant award or career change; or something else that you believe is substantial enough to merit notifying the admissions committee. There is no need to send this material hard-copy; you can email it to us at email@example.com.
- Let us know you’re interested. At the beginning of the summer we will give you the opportunity to let us know if you’d like to stay on the waitlist. If so, be sure to fill out this online form. In addition, you can send us one letter of continued interest if you’d like.
Other questions? Let me know in the comments and I will see if I can address them.